Argentina Mendoza Mission

Argentina Mendoza Mission



Monday, April 18, 2011

April 11, 2011

     Hello, so I'm here in San Juan sitting at a cyber and on the wall it says "prohibido fumar," and yet right across from me a guy is smoking.  Weird how that works. Anyways it's the end of another transfer, I will tell you next week if anything has changed or if I'm in the same area or what.  So lets see, Elder Harvey the Zone leader that I have been living with for the last 4 months is now an assistant.  It was really a blessing to be able to learn and work with him. So we haven't been able to get a hold of Silvana again.  I'm sure some day we will be able to get another lesson with her.  We found a family whose two oldest kids have been baptized but the parents haven't and neither have the three youngest kids.  We are planning on going back to their houses and watching a church movie.
     The streets here are pretty much all paved and most have sidewalks but the sidewalks are all jacked up, so part of the time it's broken tiles, dirt and rocks or the road, we seem to walk in the road alot.  All the homes are right next to each other.  They are seperated by a cement wall, and the houses are more long than wide like back home. But everything is made out of concrete and brick.  Lots have fences so that's when we clap, there are lots of dogs everywhere, and yeah I'm in an urban area compared to the other areas in the zone.  Our area is probably one of the richest.  It for sure has some of the richest people, but we don't really try to much, because they look at you through their cameras and say nope.
     Here is an orgulloso moment so I went on splits with Elder Hyer (the other zone leader who has 1 year and 2 months) and we talked to this lady.   In the end she wasn't interested at all but we asked if we could end with a prayer and she said that she wanted me to do it because she could understand me better than the other, so that made me feel really good, but I still need to learn alot more.
     Let's see what else is new?   We met a lady named Fani who can't walk very well because she got in a car/moto accident.  She is super Catholic but super good.  We said a prayer in the first lesson and when I looked up from the prayer she was crying.  She knows her family might not like her talking to us, but she told us that she knows it's ok.  She read the folleto we left with her and loved it, the next time we went by she asked where she could get a Book of Mormon, so I pulled mine out and handed it to her.  She loved it, she held it against her chest and said how beautiful about 30 times.  This last week she wasn't able to make it to church but hopefully this next week she can get there.  Elder Allen and I are doing well, we work really well with each other and we really get along.  So, can't complain here.  I really can't remember much else of what happened this week, it really flew by, but I just don't remember.  I am writing in my journal about every other day, but I think no matter how much I write in it, I will wish I had written more.  That's really cool that you guys got the Rossetta Stone.  Maybe when I get back we can be a bilingual family.  We met a guy and his wife today on the bus, the guy is from French Canada, and his wife from San Juan, they both speak, French English and Spanish.
             We went to this kid, Cristian's house, he works at Grido, the huge ice cream enterprise down here.  We taught him a little and he listened to the first lesson.  Maybe he will take the initiative and pray to receive his answer.  He is really a cool kid and really nice, he wants to go to the states someday.  Anyways I know this email was kind of lame, I just can't remember much.  The weeks seem to mold together.
Love,
Elder wharton

No comments:

Post a Comment